The Economist on taxi rides
Ever thought you paid too much for a taxi ride? Check out the recent article by The Economist based on the publication "Second-Degree Moral Hazard in a Real-World Credence Goods Market" by L. Balafoutas, R. Kerschbamer and M. Sutter.
SFB "Credence Goods, Incentives and Behavior"
We are proud to officially announce the approval of a SFB (Special Research Unit) on "Credence Goods, Incentives and Behavior" financed by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF). The joint research project including the project part leaders Loukas Balafoutas, Jürgen Huber, Rudolf Kerschbamer, Michael Kirchler, Matthias Sutter, and Markus Walzl will run for 4 years with a budget of 3.5 million Euros. The project’s aim is to analyze key determinants of individual behavior and market performance in credence goods markets with a variety of methods, combining theoretical work, laboratory experiments and field experiments. The research group consists of more than 30 scholars from economics and finance, thus bridging research across both fields.
Publication in Nature Communications
We are proud to announce that the joint publication of eeecon member Loukas Balafoutas together with Nikos Nikiforakis (New York University in Abu Dhabi) and Bettina Rockenbach (University of Cologne) on altruistic punishment is now published in Nature Communications and received widespread media attention in Europe and Russia.
13th eeecon workshop with Uwe Sunde
Our 13th eeecon workshop took place on September 28. Our special guest and keynote lecturer was Uwe Sunde from the LMU Munich who talked about "The Nature and Predictive Power of Preferences: Global Evidence". More detailed information can be found on the program.
Publication in Nature Climate Change
We are proud to announce that a joint project of eeecon members Nikolaus Umlauf and Achim Zeileis together with a team of international researchers resulted in another high-profile publication on "Remotely sensed resilience of tropical forests" in Nature Climate Change.
4th eeecon lecture with Hans-Werner Sinn
The 4th eeecon lecture with our guest Hans-Werner Sinn (LMU Munich / ifo institute) took place on May 24th 2016. About 250 people listened to his talk about "Der Euro. Von der Friedensidee zum Zankapfel".
eeecon @ Lange Nacht der Forschung
Replication study published in Science
A major replication study on laboratory experiments in economics that involved the 4 eeecon members Jürgen Huber, Michael Kirchler, Felix Holzmeister, and Michael Razen is now published in Science. Congratulations!
Publication in Science Advances
We are proud to announce that the joint publication of eeecon member Esther Blanco together with Xavier Basurto (Duke University and guest researcher at the University of Innsbruck), Mateja Nenadovic (Duke University) and Björn Vollan (University of Marburg and former eeecon member) on "Integrating Simultaneous Pro-social and Anti-social Behavior into Theories of Collective Action" is now published in Science Advances and subject of various international press articles.
- H. Hegen, M. Auer, G. Bsteh, F. Di Pauli, T. Plavina, J. Walde, F. Deisenhammer, T. Bergeret, 2017. "Stability and predictive value of anti-JCV antibody index in multiple sclerosis: A 6-year longitudinal study." PLoS ONE. Link
- M. Meier, D. Stoehr, J. Walde, E. Tasser, 2017. "Influence of ungulates on the vegetation composition and diversity of mixed deciduous and coniferous mountain forest in Austria", European Journal of Wildlife Research. Link
- R. Stauffer, J. W. Messner, G. J. Mayr, N. Umlauf and A. Zeileis. "Ensemble Post-Processing of Daily Precipitation Sums over Complex Terrain Using Censored High-Resolution Standardized Anomalies", Monthly Weather Review. Link
- M. Kirchler, D. Andersson, C. Bonn, M. Johannesson, E. Ø. Sørensen, M. Stefan, G. Tinghög, and D. Västfjäll, “The Effect of Fast and Slow Decisions on Financial Risk Taking”, Journal of Risk and Uncertainty (forthcoming).
Recent Working Papers
- H. Fornwagner. "Incentives to lose revisited: The NHL and its tournament incentives", 2017-07. [Online version]
- L. Balafoutas, S. Czermak, M. Eulerich and H. Fornwagner. "The limits of guilt", 2017-06. [Online version]
- M. Kirchler and S. Palan. "Immaterial and monetary gifts in economic transactions. Evidence from the field", 2016-12. [Revised online version]
- M. Kirchler, F. Lindner and U. Weitzel. "Rankings and Risk-Taking in the Finance Industry", 2016-02. [Revised online version]